Summer has taken hold of me and won’t let go.
It has picked me up with its salty hands and put me on solid ground. I can feel its hot breath on my neck and feel it cradling me and telling me that everything is going to be OK.
I’ve been incredibly blessed this summer with more love and understanding than I think I deserve. Friends are showing me the way to happiness. They are holding me and not letting me sink down in defeat. They are lifting me up and loving ME — imperfect, filled-to-the-brim-with-flaws ME. And I’m so grateful. So much so, that I feel the need to make a list.
My Grateful List of the Summer
* Seeing my kids cuddle in the morning and hearing the sweet words they whisper to each other.
* Old friends that get me and bring out my silly side, the part of me, if I’m totally honest, I love the most about myself.
* New friends that continue to amaze me with their depth, honesty and love.
* Discovering that making people smile is BY FAR my favorite thing in the entire world.
* Watching my daughter yell and tease the waves, feeling the power of the ocean in her tiny frame.
* Seeing my boy’s love affair with books grow daily and finding him reading in bed with a flashlight. “Just one more chapter mom.” The best.
* Watching my husband process my changes and see him trying to meet me where I am. I see it babe.
* Being trusted by a friend with a secret and feeling honored to have earned that trust.
* Speaking my mind and then having that person not got away. Huge.
* Watching my daughter finally find her courage to swim under the water and seeing the look of pride on her face after.
* Spending my summer days with no agenda, free to go where we wish and stay as long as we like. A privledge that we might not have again.
* Being loved.
* Seeing my son greet each experience with a sense of adventure and fun.
* Having two vacations at the beach — both filled with so many moments that I won’t forget.
* Having a mother that understands, accepts and loves me. Really huge.
* Writing. I’ve started a book and any moment I’m in that world, I’m grateful to be there.
* Kindness. From the friendly smile of my favorte grocery clerk Wayne, to the generosity of friends inviting us to dinner, swimming or a vacation with them, I’m surrounded by kindness.
I know I’m leaving out so much, but that’s the nature of summer. I’m taking a cue from nature and living in the warmth and light. I’m taking every experience that presents itself and drinking it all in. My cup of gratitute is spilling over. I have plenty to share.
So, if you need some, come over. I’ll pour you a glass.
You are magical. I hope you know that.
I absolutely loved your summer love list. It helped me remember and think about some of my favorite things this summer as I’m coming off of a pretty gosh-darn stressful week. So thank you, my friend. xoxoxo
Meeting you has been one of the best events of my summer.
Luv ya like a pork chop!
Leaps and bounds! You’ve made strides, sis!! This makes my heart so happy!! You’re seeing all you’ve been blessed with and not just agknowledging it but you’re embracing it! Long before the summer started this was here but I feel like you’re finally seeing what others have seen in you. A beautiful, strong woman who can do whatever makes her heart happy! I see a happy heart and that makes my heart sore! You are growing before our eyes! Stronger, and wiser, and able to stand on her own two sturdy feet with a look of assurance saying, “I’ve got this!” And you really do! You’re beautiful, sis!! It shows in you, your actions, and your words. I’m so proud of what you’re doing and the ‘you’ you’ve become!